Wednesday 22 February 2017

Reflection Post: Removing Backgrounds

Removing Background


The biggest challenge that I faced was effectively removing the background from my actor footage. Initially I planned to do this using the rotoscope brush, however I made some mistakes when I filmed the footage. Firstly I filmed it on quite a busy background. This meant that the rotoscope brush kept including pieces of my background, and the edges were very blurry. Secondly I filmed it inside, which gave me inconsistencies in the lighting between my background and footage. To fix these issues, I refilmed those clips using a rudimentary blue-screen, in an outdoor setting. This meant that I could use chroma-keying to remove the background, instead of rotoscoping.

However I still had some problems in making sure that my chroma-key removed the background cleanly. I found that some parts of the footage would be clean, while others would flicker, such as the hat. To solve this problem I layered duplicates of the same footage over each other and masked sections to have different settings applied. This allowed me to cleanly remove the background from the entire clip without some parts being lost or flickering around the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment